Taste Brasserie is located in the heart of Dorchester town on Trinity Street. We have been based there since 2006, we also have our sister café based on Chesil beach between Weymouth and Portland, taste* café at Chesil Beach. If you're in the area why not pop in for a coffee!
There is a town public pay car park 250 metres at the southern end of Trinity Street which is a one way street. The bus stops are also located 250 metres at the southern end of Trinity Street just by the entrance to the car park, with a 3 to 4 minute walk to Taste. If a disabled badge is held, customers can drive and park outside the restaurant on Trinity Street.
Taste Brasserie does have Wi-Fi if needed. So if you need internet access whilst enjoying a coffee or some lunch then ask one of the staff members for assistance.
Some mobile users will receive a good signal at the restuarant (dependant on provider and their coverage). For the best coverage in the restaurant we would recommend seating near the front of the restaurant for the best coverage and signal.
During 1500 - 1800 Dorchester remained a small market town. In 1500 it was said to have 260 houses, which probably gave it a population of around 1,000. Dorchester grew slowly and may have had a population of 1,700 by the early 18th century. This was despite outbreaks of plague in 1563, 1579 and 1595. There was a school in Dorchester in the Middle Ages but it was re-founded as a grammar school in 1567. Trinity school was founded in 1625. n 1610 Dorchester was given a charter (a document granting the townspeople certain rights and reforming local government). Dorchester was given another charter in 1630.
In 1642 came civil war between king and parliament. Dorchester was a hotbed of Puritanism and so supported parliament. Attempts were made to fortify the town and Maumbury Rings were revamped as a fort. Nevertheless the royalists captured Dorchester in August 1643. The royalists then plundered Dorchester. The royalist soldiers moved on because they were needed elsewhere. They returned to Dorchester in July 1644 but this time they were fought off. In 1613 Dorchester suffered a severe fire, which destroyed much of the town. There were other less serious fires in Dorchester in 1622, 1725, 1737 and in 1775. However in 1776 thatched roofs were banned in Dorchester to reduce the risk of fire. In 1615 Nappers Mite almshouses were built by Sir Robert Napper for 10 poor men.
During the 16th and 17th centuries the old wool industry continued in Dorchester but in the 18th century it died out due to competition with northern towns. However in the 18th century Dorchester became known for its brewing industry. In 1685 a rebellion broke out in South-western England led by the Duke of Monmouth. However the rebellion was crushed. 'Hanging Judge' Jeffreys then held a series of trials in Chichester. Altogether 312 people were tried in the town. Thirteen men were executed in Dorchester. The heads of some were impaled on spikes as a warning to others. People found a new use for the Maumbury Rings. As late as 1767 they were used for public executions or hanging fairs, which always attracted large crowds.
In the 19th century Dorchester remained a country town although it grew rapidly. The population of Dorchester was 2,402 in 1801. It grew to 9,000 by the beginning of the 20th century. For centuries Dorchester was confined to the space within the old Roman walls. In this century Fordington became grew up. It was a poor area and suffered outbreaks of cholera in 1848 and 1854. However there were some improvements in Dorchester in the 19th century. From 1835 the town had gas lighting. From 1836 Dorchester had a police force. The County Hospital opened in 1841. A museum opened in Dorchester in 1845.
The railway reached Dorchester in 1847. Also in 1847 a new Town Hall was built. A clock tower was added to it in 1862. In 1848 a Corn Exchange was built where grain could be bought and sold. In the 1850s a network of sewers was dug in Dorchester and from 1860 the town had piped water. The first cemetery in Dorchester was laid out in 1856. Borough Gardens were laid out in 1895. In 1834 the 6 Tolpuddle Martyrs were tried in Dorchester and sentenced to transportation to Australia for taking illegal oaths. They were trying to form a trade union for farm labourers. After 2 years they were pardoned. In 1840 Thomas Hardy was born in Higher Brockhampton and due to him Dorchester will always be associated with 'Casterbridge'. Another literary figure of the 19th century was the poet William Barnes. He lived in Dorchester from 1837 to 1886.
In the 20th century Dorchester remained a small country town but today it is growing rapidly. Today the population of Dorchester is 18,000. There is still a brewing industry in Dorchester but new industries have arrived. Today there is an IT industry in Dorchester. There are also light industries and a number of industrial estates have been built. Tourism is also a major industry. Dorchester gained an electricity supply in 1901. The first cinema in Dorchester opened in 1911. Furthermore in the 1920s and 1930s the first council houses were built in Dorchester.
A statue of Hardy was erected in 1931. A new library was built in 1966. The Dorset Martyrs statue was erected in 1986. West Dorset Hospital was built in 1987. Dorset by-pass was built in 1988. The present Keep Military Museum opened in 1994.
Call Us: 01305 257776 Share: